Download a PDF version here.
I am enjoying a career in corporate Learning & Development, and have a DNA-level service and learning focus with experience in companies that have defined industry leadership and service.
I contribute effective, practical experience in leading global teams, leadership and management development, large scale initiatives, software and site implementations, training, and people development. With deep experience in large scale site, software, and initiative implementation, change management, coaching, facilitation, design, and delivery of technical and soft skills subjects at all levels within organizations, as well as human resource management and large scale hiring management experience, I am not afraid of “getting down in the trenches” as needed for and with my teams, or as an individual contributor. My passion is for helping leaders succeed and making managers and organizations more effective.
Forcepoint (formerly Websense) – Director of Training & Global Talent Development February 2014 – April 2017
- Built a global team from scratch post-acquisition and privatization of Websense by Vista Equity Partners and subsequent purchase by Raytheon.
- Responsible for all training and global learning and development for 2500 employees.
- Created and standardized global orientation, management training programs for new and seasoned managers, designed two 360° programs, a change management/transitions program, a mentoring program, 90-day new hire training program, 9 box talent development process, 1×1 process and program, and an individual development planning program.
- Designed and implemented new hire sales boot camp, experienced field sales boot camp, technical, customer and partner education and certifications.
- Implemented a Customer/Administrator training program with virtualized sandboxing and hands-on product images for learners that netted over $450,000 in its first year.
- Replaced processes and negotiated contracts to eliminate $250,000 of spend in 2015, managed 2016 L&D budget to within $8K (favorable) of plan.
- Drove onboarding and learning activities in the M&A integration of three Raytheon companies, one acquisition from Intel/McAfee, and an additional CASB acquisition.
- Managed, built, and delivered training for technical and sales training tracks for annual sales kickoff meetings.
- Implemented Insights Discovery, including Team and Sales Effectiveness and Transformational Leadership, delivered to over 600 employees, using a cost reducing self-service model that reduced the program cost by ~40%.
- Conceived, designed, and built a product information portal that brought disparate Product Management, Product Marketing, Sales, and Training information to a single portal for the entire company.
- Implemented an LMS, implemented eLearning programs for CompTia, ITIL, PMP, PHR, CEH, CISSP and other certifications.
- Sourced and built global annual compliance programs, clearance certification (DOD, NATO, etc.), soft skills and a complete Mandarin language eLearning library.
- Manage a globally distributed team with members in Texas, Oregon, Utah, California, England, France, Germany, Latvia, China, and Taiwan.
- Training session evaluation for courses personally delivered in 2016 were 94% for content, 96% for instructor delivery quality.
Hanger – Learning Leader 2011 – 2014
- Responsible for driving the learning and change management around implementing enterprise-wide electronic medical records system (NextGen) and office systems for nearly 800 locations (3500 employees).
- Built and supported traditional learning initiatives as needed, including leadership, management, and coaching programs.
- Designed and delivered Change Management sessions for the largest trade and education event in the Orthotics & Prosthetics industry.
Dell – Services Learning Director, 2010 – 2011
- Led and transformed the Dell Professional Services Learning team (formerly Perot Services L&D) in to a Learning Partner with the services business.
- Integrated the Perot Services L&D Team in to Dell.
- Responsible for the education of approximately 40,000 associates in the “new” Dell Services organization.
- Managed a team of eleven local members.
Dell – Global Services Training Manager, 2007 – 2010
- Created, implemented and managed worldwide training process and policy, learning and content management systems.
- Delivered training specific IT support, training reporting and analytics, certification program management and administration.
- Provided testing center management, and end-to-end training efficiency and quality measurement.
- Eliminated local and regionally redundant LMS’ and created an internally developed and globally standardized LMS with CMS capability.
- Created an automated global real-time L&D scorecard, globalized training room inventory systems and numerous other processes and systems to support the business of learning. $4MM in annualized (Six Sigma measured) savings first year.
- Managed a global team with members in the US, England, Scotland, Ireland, France, Germany, Malaysia, and Japan.
Dell – Global Consumer Training Manager, 2004 – 2007
- Managed 32 team members responsible for the design, deployment, delivery and evaluation of training in over 30 Dell consumer contact centers globally (US, India, Philippines, Malaysia, El Salvador, Panama, and Canada) with over 10,000 agents.
- Proactively created and managed an additional team responsible for the design and deployment for all contact center training in the Small and Medium Business segment.
Bear Creek Corp – Director of Training/Corporate University, 1998 – 2004
- Built and managed a centralized training function and formalized a Corporate University from scratch for a vertically integrated Catalog and Retail company of 10,000+ employees.
- Offered over 200 unique courses to all levels of employee – from ESL to our agricultural employees to C++ for our IT employees, as well as all leadership and management training.
Coldwater Creek – Training Manager, 1995 – 1998
- One person training department.
- Defined and created the corporate training function from scratch starting with 250 employees, ending at 2500.
- Built call center training, supervisory and management programs, communication skills and line job programs.
Wal-Mart Logistics – Training Manager, 1992 – 1995
- Trained the management and supervisory staff in newly opened distribution centers.
- Designed and conducted leadership and management training in the Wal-Mart distribution center network.
- Responsible for the planning, setup, logistics and management of the first-ever Wal-Mart Board of Director’s meeting that was not held in Bentonville.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
California State University-Bakersfield, BA, Communication, Fine Arts, 1991 – 1992
California Polytechnic State University-San Luis Obispo, Aeronautical Engineering studies, 1985 – 1988
- Insights Discovery and Insights Transformational Leadership Certification
- Center for Leadership Studies Certification in Situational Leadership
- Advantage Performance Group Advantage Way Success Case Method Certification
Photography (www.gusstrandphoto.com), percussion, family, and getting dirty and scraped up in the outdoors.
REFERENCES GLADLY PROVIDED UPON REQUEST